FOSSEE Summer Fellowship 2019
Registrations are now closed
Total number of registered participants: 8885Concept Note for FOSSEE Fellowship 2019
Please keep visiting this page for updates
Last updated on: 18 April 2019
- All college (bachelors, masters, PhD, etc.) Students from all streams(engineering, science, arts, commerce etc.) are welcomed to participate in the FOSSEE Summer Fellowship 2019.
- FOSSEE works only on promotion and development of Free/Libre and Open Source Software in education. For more updates on the FOSSEE Fellowship please keep checking this website
1 February 2019
Last date to submit tasks
31 March 2019
Announcement of Results
We are trying to accommodate more students this year. Hence the results will be declared next week. Please keep checking our website for the updates
Commencement of Fellowship (tentative)
14 May 2019
We request you to share the above fellowship poster with faculty members, students and others who might be interested. You may print the poster (native size - A4) and display on notice boards.
- To register and enroll, click here
- The registered participants have to select a topic from the below table and submit a screening task for the selected topic
- The details of the topic and screening tasks for each are given in the table under "Topics for the screening task submission" tab
- For the topics under: "Tasks which require proposal and acceptance", the participants have to first make a proposal and submit the tasks only after the acceptance of the proposal
- For the topics mentioned under "Tasks which do not require proposal and acceptance", the participant have to directly submit the task without any proposal
- The completed tasks will be reviewed by the domain experts in the FOSSEE team.
- After the review the selected participants will be called for the fellowship at IIT Bombay.
- The participants who have completed the tasks but are not called for the Fellowship will be getting soft copy of the certificate for the successful completion of the task
- If participant selects a task under "Tasks that require submitting a proposal and accepting it" and has completed it, then the participant will be eligible for honorarium and certificate.
In case of any queries related to a particular FOSS, please refer the HELP tab given below.
- Tasks that require submitting a proposal and acceptance, resulting in collaborative content creation
- Tasks that require a test and possibly a small activity (no collaborative content creation, however)
|Health and Nutrition||contact-hn[at]spoken-tutorial[dot]org|
|Places of Worship||powfossee[at]gmail[dot]com|
For any general queries write to us at: info[at]fossee[dot]in
Q. What is the procedure of FOSSEE summer fellowship?
A. Anyone can register for the Fellowship program. Go through the topics and screening tasks mentioned on the FOSSEE Fellowship website before registering. Submit a screening task get selected to work with FOSSEE on your selected project. Even if you are not selected as a FOSSEE Fellow, but have successfully completed and submitted the tasks you will be eligible for honorarium and certificate for few of the projects
Q.I came to know about the fellowship what should I do next?
A. Please go through the website https://fossee.in/fellowship/2019. Register for the fellowship. Before registering please be sure of the topic that you would want to submit your task on.
Q. How do I register for the fellowship?
A. We recommend you to visit https://fossee.in/fellowship/2019. Before registering, please be sure of the topic that you want to submit the screening task. For registration fill in the registration form: https://courses.fossee.in/login/signup.php.
Q. In the registration form, which ID is referred to in the column "ID number"?
A. "ID number" refers to the college Id number provided by your college/university.
Q.How to I enroll for a course?
A. When you fill the sign up form there is a question where you have to select the topic for which you will be submitting the screening task, this is the enrolment. You shall be enrolled for a course during the registration itself.
Q. After registration, I am getting a message “You cannot enroll yourself in this course"
It takes some time to enroll you in a course after registration. Please wait for 30 minutes after you register and then access your enrolled course.
Q.Can I submit the task in a group?
A. No, we shall accept only individual submissions.
Q. Can I contact FOSSEE if I have a doubt while working on the task ?
A.Yes, you can write to us at info[at]fossee[dot]in or you can use the email ids given in the “Help” tab on the Fellowship website. We shall be happy to help.
Q. How do I contact the district collector ?
A. Please go to the district collector’s office after taking a copy of the letter present on the Fellowship website. Contact the people there and show the letter, they shall guide you accordingly.
Q. Are there any registration fees for the fellowship?
A. No, there are no registration charges for FOSSEE Fellowship 2019.
Accomodation and Food
Q. Will I get accommodation during the fellowship?
A. Yes accommodation will be provided inside the campus on a twin sharing basis to the selected fellows.
Q. Do I have to pay anything for the accommodation?
A. Yes the selected fellows will have to pay a nominal amount for accommodation along with a refundable security deposit.
Q. Will I be provided any remuneration for doing the fellowship?
A. Yes you will be provided a stipend depending on the feedback given by your mentors.
Q. What will be the duration of the fellowship?
A. The fellowship will be for a duration of 6-8 weeks.
Q. Will I be provided food during my stay at the campus?
A. The students can have their food from the mess inside the campus. The mess charges have to be borne by the fellows.
Working hours/ Payment / Certificate /Other requirements for Fellowship
Q. Will I be provided with a certificate?
A. Yes certificates will be provided to the candidates who successfully complete our fellowship programme.
Q. What documents do I need to bring for the Fellowship?
- A valid photo ID card/ College ID and a few passport size photographs of yourself.
- Objection Certificate (NOC) from your HoD that you don’t have any course-work requirements in your parent institution during the period of fellowship (optional).
Q. What are the expected working hours?
A. Usual working hours of the institute are from 9:15 AM to 6.45 PM (Monday through Saturday). However most technical people work beyond these hours. The interns need to sign in an attendance register daily.
Q. Do I need a laptop?
A. Yes. You cannot join the Fellowship if you fail to bring your laptop. Moreover, you might be asked by your mentor to install some software, if any, before coming to IIT Bombay.
Q. When can I expect to receive the stipend and certificate?
A. Issuing of stipend and certificate will take a couple of months after the date of successful completion of the fellowship. Therefore, you are advised to have INR 10k-15k in your hand to manage your living and food expenses during your stay at IIT Bombay.
Q. Can we do the fellowship as Work From home basis?
A. The fellowship cannot be done on “Work from home” basis. As it will require mentoring and monitoring of the work. It is mandatory for you to come to IIT Bombay for the fellowship.
Q. Will I get any travelling allowance from FOSSEE?
A. No. The travel expenses should be borne by the fellows.
Q. Can I go outside the campus during my stay at IIT Bombay?
A. Yes. You can go outside the campus during your stay at IIT Bombay only after the working hours mentioned above. FOSSEE will not be responsible about anything which happens outside the campus.
- The FOSSEE team encourages you to select and work only on one of the topic/task mentioned in the above table. If you select to work on more than one topic/project the chances for the selection of the fellowship will be decreased.
- Each task should be taken up by an individual only. We do not encourage group submissions.
- Honorarium (if any) will be as per FOSSEE norms.
- Kindly make sure that your submission files do not contain any copyrighted content.
- FOSSEE team shall evaluate the submissions and declare the final list of selected candidates for fellowship on basis of the completeness, correctness and the quality of the tasks submitted.
- FOSSEE team reserves the right for the selection and rejection of the FOSSEE fellows. This decision shall be final and non questionable.
FOSSEE project in collaboration with the District Collectors are floating some screening tasks where students have to work on problems of interest to the local government, under the FOSSEE Fellowship 2019. A letter was sent to all the 723 District Collectors of India informing about FOSSEE Fellowship 2019.
Click here to view the letter sent to District Collector